For most of 2020 COVID-19 has caused our favorite dining spots to close completely or start offering take-out, delivery & outdoor dining to their menus. Also, food delivery services like Uber Eats, DoorDash, and GrubHub have greatly increased in popularity as they offer delivery from a huge variety of restaurants. However, the downside to this (as if COVID-19 wasn’t bad enough) is the increase in packaging waste that is being generated. Just think to yourself about everything that arrives with every delivery or take-out order you purchase.
As Americans, we create an enormous amount of trash. The average American consumer produces just under five pounds of trash each day, while a family creates about 18 pounds. Multiplying those numbers by 365 days for the year, it all adds up to:
- 1,642 pounds per person.
- 6,570 pounds per family.
To put it bluntly, your food might be delivered to you within an hour, but the packaging it comes in could be around for hundreds of years!
This is where Cibo Meals’ sustainable Mason jar packaging comes in. Our glass jars, hard plastic lids, and green insulated bags are returnable and reusable after we fully sanitize them, and they are the perfect vessel for our tasty vegetarian meals. Mason jars also help keep your food fresher for longer than plastic or paper packaging, cutting down on food waste. We understand the desire for delivery of your favorite foods within 60 minutes, but think about how much effort, energy, and waste that desire is creating. If you order from Cibo Meals once a week, you can still be excited when your jars arrive and enjoy the meals for longer than typical take-out. And, you’re helping Mother Earth, what’s better?!?
Here’s a few suggestions to cut down on your food-related waste and help make a difference:
- When picking up or having food delivered, tell them NOT to give you utensils or napkins if you don’t need them.
- Ask the food vendors if they use compostable/recyclable packaging, and if not, ask them to start.
- Order from Cibo Meals for locally prepared, fresh-to-jar meals that are delivered safely to you in a reusable cooler bags ~ no plastic bags.
Have questions or want to start enjoying Eco-friendly meals? Learn more and sign up for our meal options at cibomeals.com/sign-up/.
Sources: https://www.dumpsters.com/blog/us-trash-production; https://lifehacker.com/how-to-reduce-your-food-delivery-and-takeout-waste-1841575332
In these times of uncertainty with the coronavirus and general cold & flu season, this Miracle Healing Broth is just what you need! And our Mason jars we deliver your meals in are the PERFECT vessel to hold this warming, golden broth in (feel free to reuse them).
Here’s the recipe (with a few Cibo additions), please let us know what you think @ [email protected] ~ Stay Well & Safe
Oh She Glows Miracle Healing Broth Recipe
- 1 Tbls Coconut Oil
- 1.5 Cups Diced White Onion, lightly sauteed
- 6 Garlic Cloves, cut into pieces or chopped up with a blender
- 2 Tbls Fresh Ginger (fresh is really worth it here 🙂
- 1 tsp Fresh or Powdered Turmeric
- Fresh Parsley, Chives, Basil or any other leafy green you prefer
- 1 can Unsweetened Coconut Milk (we really like Native Forest from Natural Grocers)
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper, more/less to taste
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice (fresh is best)
- 1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt (if vegan, omit)
- Feel free to add any other ingredients that appeal to your taste, or ask us what we recommend 🙂
Recipe Source ~ Oh She Glows Everyday, Angela Liddon
Cibo Meals is bringing you some natural ideas on battling the allergies that often come our season changes. I’m a Colorado native and never had allergies when I was younger. I left CO. for about 8 years for the East Coast and when I returned to the Rocky Mountains I started having seasonal allergies all of the sudden. For awhile I relied on the over-the-counter drugs and nasal sprays, but those rarely lasted long and left me feeling more loopy than I wanted. As I’ve acclimated to being back at 5,280 elevation my seasonal allergies seems to be subsiding, but still, at the start of spring and transition into fall I always get some symptoms.
Here are some homeopathic options that are available in nature and easy to get at most local grocery stores. Much of the information we’re bringing you is from Lucky’s Market at Wadsworth & 38th Ave. in Wheat Ridge, so check out their Apothecary section soon.
- I just started using Hyland’s Seasonal Allergy Relief and it’s been working great on my symptoms. I love the quick-dissolving tablets that I can enjoy first thing in the morning and I’m pretty clear until the evening.
- As a long-time tea drinker I find it’s an easy way to keep my water intake up during the day. When I start to feel my allergies ramping up I bring out my favorite loose tea, Shifa Turmeric Allergy & Sinus Tea with Herbs (click to purchase from Amazon here). And the best; I use my Cibo Meals empty jars and lids to steep the tea while I’m getting ready in the morning, shopping for ingredients, and enjoying an evening sunset. You can make up a larger batch and have it hot or iced, and use a Piccolo jar when you’re on the go.
- Some other great natural remedies that are easy to get your hands on are Garlic (immunity boost), nettles (antihistamine properties, found in the tea mentioned above), yogurt (helps reduce grass pollen allergies, gut-health), and spicy seasonings like cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, horseradish, or wasabi all do a great job of clearing up sinuses (and adding instant heat to your meals). Hint: Keep spices in small Mason jars with a tight lid to keep them really fresh.
- Of course, eating a healthy, veggie-filled diet helps keep your immune system strong and your head clear, and so many of our Cibo Meals have these great benefits and so much more!
Learn more homeopathic options for natural remedies here , and more about Cibo Meals here
~Buon Cibo, Emily Green, Owner
References: Lucky’s Market Health & Happiness Magazine, April 2019